Community

Find Share Discuss

Find-Share-Discuss: May/June 2013

Heat and Danger In Italy—Summer 1944 Canadian war veteran Lloyd A. Carter of Hemet, Calif., shares two photos taken while he was attached to a gun shop detachment with 1st Canadian Division. The top photo was taken near Alife, Italy, when summer’s heat “reduced me to my work clothes.” The other one shows Carter sitting next to a pile of freshly dug dirt outside his tent at the Metauro River. Carter also remembers pulling into a field where there was a line of grapevines and a line of trees. The grapes looked good so he decided to settle in. A Sergeant Kierstead came along and asked him to move his equipment closer to the trees because he wanted to park a vehicle—in need of repairs—on the level ground next to the grapes. “Always co-operative, I moved my equipment,” recalled...
Community, Find Share Discuss

Find-Share-Discuss: March/April 2013

ON HILL 355, KOREA Kenneth Clow of Brossard, Que., shares two photos of himself taken during the Korean War on Hill 355. This year marks the 60th anniversary of the signing of the Korea Armistice Agreement on July 27, 1953. Clow, who was 17-years-old when these photos were taken, was a member of the Royal Canadian Regiment, which came under heavy attack on Oct. 23, 1952. “It was something I will never forget,” recalled Clow. “To this day, I don’t know how we made it.” We thank Kenneth for his contribution to Find-Share-Discuss, and invite readers to share similar memories of wartime or peacetime service.
Community, Find Share Discuss

Find-Share-Discuss: January/February 2013

Find-Share-Discuss: Stanley Wilson Photo On leave in wartime England Stanley Wilson of Ottawa shares this photo taken in 1944 while he and fellow aircrew were visiting Stratford-upon-Avon, where playwright William Shakespeare was baptized in 1564. When asked if he and his buddies took in a play during their visit, Wilson replied: "No, we just went to the pub next door—a place called The Dirty Duck." From left to right are: Flight Sergeant Stanley Wilson, Flying Officer J.K. Millbank, Flt. Sgt. N. E. Mckenzie, Flt. Sgt. K.E. Sheppard and Flt. Sgt. C.E. Johnson. The photo was taken behind the theatre, along the Avon River. We thank Stanley Wilson for his contribution to Find-Share-Discuss, and invite other readers to share similar memories of wartime or peacetime service.
WATCH NOW
close-link