Compensation announced for 1974 cadet accident

June 14, 2017 by Legion Magazine

The federal government is providing compensation and health-care support for cadet victims of a grenade accident 43 years ago.

“This is a good day for the survivors,” said Gerry Fostaty, who worked for years for compensation for the accident, in which a cadet pulled the pin on a live grenade at CFB Valcartier cadet camp in Quebec.

Six cadets died and 65 were injured. A military ombudsman’s investigation concluded they had been treated callously during the investigation and unfairly afterward.

About 155 individuals are eligible for a $42,000 benevolent payment. In addition, those with physical and mental injuries are eligible for up to $310,000. Estates of the six cadets killed are eligible for an additional $58,000.

As well, the Department of National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces will pay related health-care costs not funded by provincial health-care systems.     

“These former cadets were under our care…and some have struggled—and continue to struggle to this day—with the long-term effects of the trauma they experienced and the actions taken by the military,” said Minister of National Defence Harjit Sajjan.

Further information is available online at 1974@forces.gc.ca or by calling 844-800-8566.


Member Benefits Package
SHOP
Last Post
Subscribe

CONNECT

Classified Ads