Here are the answers to our Readers’ Quiz in the July/August 2012 issue.
- The U.S. fort on Mackinac Island in Lake Huron surrendered to British forces in 1812 without anyone being killed.
- Four Canadians were awarded the Victoria Cross for their actions during the Battle of Vimy Ridge. They were Captain Thain MacDowell, Private William Milne, Pte. John Pattison and Lance Sergeant Ellis Sifton. Milne and Sifton died during the battle.
- An airgraph was a one-page form to write a letter on. The airgraph would then be photographed in Canada and developed overseas.
- The two flanking beaches used during the 1942 raid on Dieppe were Puys and Pourville.
- A qamutiq is sled for carrying luggage that can be pulled behind a snowmobile or dogsled.